The first installment of our World Above the Tetons Science Speaker Series was a huge success with over 250 attending! A huge thanks to our sponsors, to everyone who showed up, and to Astronaut Scott for a wonderful presentation. We’ve just as excited about the next event featuring Jill Tarter, co-founder of Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI), on Saturday September 29th at 7pm at Walk Festival Hall. Tickets are on sale here (KIDS and students are FREE!)
Wyoming Stargazing is pleased to welcome Astronaut Scott Altman to Jackson this weekend to kick off our World Above the Tetons Science Speaker Series.
Come on down to the Eco Fair at Phil Baux Park (base of Snow King Mountain this Saturday) from 12pm-5pm to check out the Dark Sky Pavilion and some digital full dome movies inside our planetarium. We’ll be powering the Dark Sky Pavilion and the planetarium using Creative Energies solar trailer. Let’s hope for sunshine!
FREE for everyone!
In need of more solar stoke? If you’re hoping to become an eclipse expert, or sticking around for the big day, get involved with the following public eclipse presentations, expert talks, and public pop-ups.
1. Meet Wyoming Stargazing’s Executive Director THIS WEEK. Samuel Singer, PhD. will be offering a presentation on the Solar Eclipse on Monday, 7/17. Get psyched about the eclipse and learn just how lucky we are for the opportunity: link
2. If you are still amped for eclipse knowledge, the town of Jackson has presentations from knowledgeable speakers leading up to eclipse day: link
3. Immerse yourself in the night sky and peak through our telescopes for free! Wyoming Stargazing will be offering our Free Public Stargazing Program at Rendezvous Park on August 18th, 9pm- 11pm before the eclipse: link
4. Free Coffee and Solar Scope viewing! Meet up with us for solar telescopes and free coffee August 19th at the Jackson Hole Farmer’s Market on the Jackson Town Square from 8am-1pm.
5. GRAND FINALE! Be there at the Base of Snow King on August 21st for eclipse day! We’ll be out with our telescopes and our intelligent Stargazing Leaders as we view the main event of the summer: link
Ready to make the most out of your eclipse experience? The ultimate eclipse parties, gatherings, and meet and greets are lined up here for you! Take a look at the following local events that will make your eclipse expectations extra stellar.
1. Pre-Eclipse Party with a NASA Astronaut! Wyoming Stargazing presents a unique nighttime opportunity for a meet and greet with NASA Astronaut Scott Altman, as well as a presentation by author and astrobiologist, Dr. David Grinspoon. Bring books, posters, and whatever you need signed by these two incredibly intelligent representatives! Food and wine will also be provided as we wait to wander underneath the stars and see what Wyoming Stargazing has in store for the future of our mission.: link
2. Ride the Tram in Teton Village to see the eclipse. Most tickets have already been sold out, but word is that more tickets are on their way. Keep checking back frequently to snag your tickets to the top of Rendezvous Park: link
3. Camp out and bask in the glory of the Tetons at the Grand Targhee Resort. With the Grand Teton Mountain range in full view, it’s easily an incredibly beautiful and inspiring spot to catch the eclipse!: link
4. Waitlist your party for Wyoming Stargazing’s Eclipse viewing at the summit of Snow King Mountain! Don’t worry, there’s still a chance to join us at the summit of Snow King for the day of viewing! Check on the link to be added to the waitlist: link
5. Solar Sky Party at Spring Creek Ranch Resort! Wyoming Stargazing has partnered with Spring Creek Ranch to offer a phenomenal chance to view the eclipse complete with brunch, open hilltop views, and an on-sight presentation from a Wyoming Stargazing Astronomer. Snag your tickets before they are gone: link
We are 5 months out today from the 2017 Total Solar Eclipse on August 21st! If you haven’t already been able to attend one of the public eclipse presentations offered by our Executive Director Dr. Samuel Singer, please check our events calendar for more eclipse presentations scheduled over the next several months.
Beginning on May 13th, Wyoming Stargazing will launch our 100 Days Until the Eclipse blog series. Each day we’ll give you a piece of scientific, historical, logistical, or just fun information about the eclipse. We’ll also air a weekly summary of that information on KHOL, one of Jackson’s local radio stations.
Wyoming Stargazing will be hosting two special fundraising events during the weekend of the Total Solar Eclipse on the Summit of Snow King Mountain. The first event will take place on the evening of Saturday, August 19th before the eclipse. The second event will be on the morning of the eclipse Monday, August 21st.
We have some amazing presenters lined-up for the events including NASA astronaut Scott Altman, astrobiologist and author David Grinspoon, and supernovae expert Prof. Douglas Leonard. We’ll have catered food from Rendezvous Bistro, drinks, music, and of course lots and lots of telescopes for stargazing on Saturday night and for watching the eclipse on Monday. The summit of Snow King is an amazing stargazing location! We’ll show you Jupiter, Saturn, star clusters, nebulae, and galaxies like you’ve never seen them before. The Summit also provides one of the best and most accessible vantage points in Jackson Hole to watch the eclipse because you’ll get to see the shadow of the Moon racing across the entire valley just before and after the moments of totality. Tickets for these two events also include chairlift rides up and down the mountain, exclusive parking at the base of Snow King Mountain or a shuttle ride from your hotel, as well as rides on the Alpine Slide and the Mountain Coaster!
Because of logistical and space limitations we are capping each event at 250 people. The first 200 tickets for the event on Monday have already been snatched up. The remaining tickets are on sale now!
Get Your Tickets Today!
Please click on the links below to purchase tickets before we are sold out. You are also welcome to call us at 1-844-996-7827 (1-844-WYO-STAR) with any questions or to buy tickets over the phone to avoid the online booking fee.