Once you get hooked on stargazing by looking through one of our huge telescopes in Jackson Hole and you’re planning on another adventure somewhere out West here are a couple places to check out the night sky with seasoned professionals.
Come on down to the Eco Fair at Phil Baux Park (base of Snow King Mountain this Saturday) from 12pm-5pm to check out the Dark Sky Pavilion and some digital full dome movies inside our planetarium. We’ll be powering the Dark Sky Pavilion and the planetarium using Creative Energies solar trailer. Let’s hope for sunshine!
Thanks to the generous support of people like you Wyoming Stargazing is offering even more FREE, year-round public stargazing/planetarium programs. In the past we’ve had to cancel many of these programs because of bad weather, but not anymore! Now, we have the The Dark Sky Pavilion that was designed by local artist Natalie Clark and designer Jakub Galczynski and funded by Natalie Clark, the Community Foundation of Jackson Hole, and the Center of Wonder. The Dark Sky Pavilion allows us to almost NEVER cancel any more public programs.
When it’s clear on a Friday nights we’ll have our telescopes out from at Rendezvous Park during the warmer months (May-September) from 9:30-11:30pm and at the Center for the Arts lawn during colder months (October-April) from 7:30-9:30pm. When it’s cloudy we’ll have the Dark Sky Pavilion set-up with our digital planetarium inside from 5:30pm-7:30pm at those sane locations.
So, join us tomorrow night, Friday, Oct 20th from 5:30pm-7:30pm on the lawn at the Center for the Arts for a FREE public planetarium program!
In need of more solar stoke? If you’re hoping to become an eclipse expert, or sticking around for the big day, get involved with the following public eclipse presentations, expert talks, and public pop-ups.
1. Meet Wyoming Stargazing’s Executive Director THIS WEEK. Samuel Singer, PhD. will be offering a presentation on the Solar Eclipse on Monday, 7/17. Get psyched about the eclipse and learn just how lucky we are for the opportunity: link
2. If you are still amped for eclipse knowledge, the town of Jackson has presentations from knowledgeable speakers leading up to eclipse day: link
3. Immerse yourself in the night sky and peak through our telescopes for free! Wyoming Stargazing will be offering our Free Public Stargazing Program at Rendezvous Park on August 18th, 9pm- 11pm before the eclipse: link
4. Free Coffee and Solar Scope viewing! Meet up with us for solar telescopes and free coffee August 19th at the Jackson Hole Farmer’s Market on the Jackson Town Square from 8am-1pm.
5. GRAND FINALE! Be there at the Base of Snow King on August 21st for eclipse day! We’ll be out with our telescopes and our intelligent Stargazing Leaders as we view the main event of the summer: link
Ready to make the most out of your eclipse experience? The ultimate eclipse parties, gatherings, and meet and greets are lined up here for you! Take a look at the following local events that will make your eclipse expectations extra stellar.
1. Pre-Eclipse Party with a NASA Astronaut! Wyoming Stargazing presents a unique nighttime opportunity for a meet and greet with NASA Astronaut Scott Altman, as well as a presentation by author and astrobiologist, Dr. David Grinspoon. Bring books, posters, and whatever you need signed by these two incredibly intelligent representatives! Food and wine will also be provided as we wait to wander underneath the stars and see what Wyoming Stargazing has in store for the future of our mission.: link
2. Ride the Tram in Teton Village to see the eclipse. Most tickets have already been sold out, but word is that more tickets are on their way. Keep checking back frequently to snag your tickets to the top of Rendezvous Park: link
3. Camp out and bask in the glory of the Tetons at the Grand Targhee Resort. With the Grand Teton Mountain range in full view, it’s easily an incredibly beautiful and inspiring spot to catch the eclipse!: link
4. Waitlist your party for Wyoming Stargazing’s Eclipse viewing at the summit of Snow King Mountain! Don’t worry, there’s still a chance to join us at the summit of Snow King for the day of viewing! Check on the link to be added to the waitlist: link
5. Solar Sky Party at Spring Creek Ranch Resort! Wyoming Stargazing has partnered with Spring Creek Ranch to offer a phenomenal chance to view the eclipse complete with brunch, open hilltop views, and an on-sight presentation from a Wyoming Stargazing Astronomer. Snag your tickets before they are gone: link