Year-Round Stargazing Programs
The Top 5 Reasons to Stargaze in Jackson Hole with Wyoming Stargazing
- High Elevation: The high elevation in Jackson Hole means that you’re looking through much less atmosphere than at sea level. That makes the night sky that much clearer.
- Huge Telescopes: Wyoming Stargazing uses huge telescopes during our stargazing programs. That means we can collect a ton of light from distant objects, allowing you to be able to see galaxies millions of light years away!
- Predictable Weather: The low humidity and predictable weather in Jackson Hole, especially in the summer, means that we have lots of clear night skies. We very rarely have top cancel a stargazing program in the summer because of bad weather
- Stargazing Leaders: Wyoming Stargazing employs knowledgeable stargazing leaders. That means they not only have a huge amount of knowledge of the night sky, but are also very good at explaining the details about what you are looking at.
- Dark Skies: Jackson Hole is mostly protected, undeveloped public land. That means there is relatively little light pollution, allowing you to see the arms of the Milky Way Galaxy and so much more!
Wyoming Stargazing offers year-round stargazing programs at your convenience. Let us come to your private residence or bring you to one of the premiere stargazing locations in Grand Teton National Park. We’ll set up one of our large telescopes and inspire you and your guests by showing you all that the extraordinary night skies of Jackson Hole have to offer! Throughout the night we’ll show you planets, stars, nebulae, galaxies, and more.
We’ll also have a smartphone adapter so you can take pictures through our telescopes and plenty of iPads ready with the Star Walk application on them so you can continue exploring the heavens while your friends and family are entranced through the telescopes. We’ll also have some truly amazing augmented reality goggles from Universe2go that make virtual stargazing out of this world!
Compared to the often well-attended public stargazing programs we offer, Multi-Group Stargazing (offered only during the summer months) and Private Stargazing (offered year-round) programs give you more individualized attention from our enthusiastic astronomy educators, allowing you to finally get answers to all of the questions you’ve ever had about the Universe. There’s little-to-no wait time to look through our telescopes, which means that during the evening we’ll be able to show you even more of the extraordinary objects in the sparkling night sky!
Itinerary for Private and Multi-Group Stargazing Programs (3-4 hours from pickup to drop off):
- Hotel pick-ups take place from 7pm-8pm (October-April), 8pm-8:30pm in May, 8:30pm-9:30pm (June-August), and 8pm in September. We’ll contact you with specific times the day of your program.
- 30 minute drive to a dark location inside Grand Teton National Park
- Sip on some hot chocolate or apple cider and explore the sky with the StarWalk app on an iPad or our augmented reality goggles from Universe2go while we set up the telescope
- View incredible deep space objects through the telescope for about 2 hours
- Sip some more hot chocolate or apple cider and warm up in the van while we pack everything up
- 30 minute drive back to your hotel
Private Stargazing Programs are just for your family and friends.
Multi-Group Stargazing Programs (offered only during the summer months) include multiple families in the same stargazing program (up to 13 people). The maximum size for a party wanting to do a Multi-Group Stargazing Program is 9 people. For parties of 10 people or more please book a Private Stargazing Program. Please do not split up your group of 10 or more into two groups and book two Multi-Group Stargazing programs. Parties of 10 or more that already know each other prior to the start of the program will be charged the Private Stargazing rate.
At this time we only offer hotel pick-ups for multi-group stargazing programs to guests staying in: Teton Village, Town of Wilson and within the city limits of the town of Jackson. We apologize for the inconvenience. If you are staying outside of these areas, and would like to join a Multi-Group stargazing program, you are welcome to drive down to the town of Jackson, park in one of the public parking lots, and we’ll come pick you up!
If you have any special needs, such as ending the program early, we strongly recommend that you book a private program so that we can accommodate you to the best of our ability.
You can book Private and Multi-Group Stargazing programs with us by clicking on the RESERVE buttons on the right hand column. If you’d like to book over the phone and avoid the non-refundable booking fee, please give us a call at 1-844-996-7827, M-F, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
In the event of inclement weather, we do our best to re-book your program for another night. Please consider booking your program early in your trip so that in the event of a weather issue you have the chance to stargaze another night!
For Private Programs we can pick you up from almost anywhere in Jackson Hole. Wyoming Stargazing also currently has arrangements with numerous resorts and businesses in town with whom you can book trips with us. If you are a guest of one of the hotels listed below, please inquire at the concierge desk about stargazing programs with Wyoming Stargazing.
Private Stargazing Programs
(Ages 5 and under are free)
$500 for up to 4 people
$125/person for 5-13 people
Multi-Group Stargazing Programs
Offered June-September Only
(13 person max on each program)
$85/person for adults and children of all ages (up to 9 people/party)
Wyoming Stargazing offers our services at weddings, conferences, dinner parties, and other events. Please give us a call or send us an email to discuss details and pricing.
Private and Multi-Group Stargazing Programs Include:
- More time spent looking through our enormous telescopes
- Opportunity to see additional deep space objects
- More individualized attention from a highly qualified Astronomy Guide
- Use of the Star Walk app on each iPad and augmented reality goggles from Universe2go
- Camping chairs to sit back and enjoy the night sky
- Blankets to keep you warm
- Bottled water to keep you hydrated
- Hot chocolate and apple cider to warm you up even more
Preparing for Your Program
The heat of the summer days we have here in Jackson can be deceiving – the temperature can drop down to below 40°F at night! Please remember to dress warmly. In the summer you should wear long pants, a warm jacket, closed toed shoes with thick socks, and a hat. In the winter you should dress like you’re going skiing. In addition, our large telescopes require the use of a ladder to observe. Please contact us if you or anyone in your party cannot use a ladder so that we may accommodate your specific needs.
What Is Universe2go?
In combination with the accompanying Smartphone App this newly developed star viewer shows the stars with a wealth of information and fantastic images. Digital information is merged with the image of the real night sky. You are, therefore, not looking at the display, but at a live image of the real starry sky! Universe2go is the world’s first smartphone-based AR viewer, demonstrating what is already possible now in the virtual reality and augmented reality world. This device works with most smartphones. Click the following link to find out if your phone will work with Universe2go during your stargazing program.
Jackson Weather Tips
The weather in Jackson during the summer time is very predictable. We typically get afternoon thunderstorms and cloudy afternoon weather. As the sky begins to get dark and the temperature begins to drop the clouds almost always dissipate, leaving incredibly clear skies for stargazing. Even if it’s still cloudy at 9pm there is a very good chance that by 10pm the skies will be perfectly clear.
In the winter, the weather is less predictable here. We get about 70% of our annual precipitation in the form of snow. The storms will come in when they will. We do our best to schedule programs around anticipated cloudy weather. In the event that we have to cancel the stargazing program because of bad weather there is no charge (except for the 6% nonrefundable online booking fee if you booked yourself online). Wyoming Stargazing WILL charge the full amount of the program if the customer decides to cancel or rebook for any reason, except for emergencies, within 48 hours of the scheduled start time of the program.
Let us bring you the universe on your special day!
Wyoming Stargazing has begun offering our services for weddings and other large events. Stargazing is the perfect way to make your event unique and memorable for your guests. Join others who have been blown away by amazing views of the Universe.
“We used Wyoming Stargazing at my daughter’s September wedding, and it was a hit! The telescope was set up next to an outdoor fire pit with blankets, roasted marshmallows and hot drinks, while we enjoyed the crisp fall evening. It was a intimate scene for those who wanted a break from the dance floor. Guests were able to attach their phone to the telescope and capture a photo of the moon from this special night. Many of our friends and family still use this image of the moon as their screen saver. It was a special touch to a perfect day!”
Please give us a call or send us an email to reserve us for your special day!